When soul rises Into lips You feel the kiss You’ve wanted
The Heart of the Couple
I have a special affinity for working with couples. Even before I became a therapist, I spent a great deal of time studying practical questions of love: what brings people together, what gets in the way of staying together, and perhaps most importantly, how can we make love last?
I bring a wealth of techniques and experience to my couples practice, paying attention to what’s needed at any given moment. In particular, my ongoing training in Gottman method couples therapy has provided some of the most useful insights I’ve found. Based on extensive research with thousands of happy couples, the Gottman method helps couples discover—or rediscover—the passion that drew them together in the first place.
I call my work with couples “The Heart of the Couple” because the two of you form an entity greater than the sum of both of you—an entity with its own heart. The Heart of the Couple needs mindful attention, plenty of compassion, and a skillfully-held space to come forth and blossom into its full beauty. I take great joy in holding that space, and in guiding both of you to fill the heart of your relationship with lasting lovingkindness.
In our sessions, I act as an ally to you both, helping each of you to reconnect with what matters most—your love for yourselves and for each other. I bring my compassionate, non-judgmental presence and results-oriented skills to help couples of all backgrounds and orientations:
- Nurture a strong connection and deep friendship that also respects each partner’s autonomy;
- Find new ways to navigate difficult moments, leaving behind conditioned patterns and behaviors that no longer serve you;
- Kindle or rekindle deep passion and resolve sexual difficulties with lovingkindness;
- Find out how you alone can influence your relationship and shift what feels stuck into a more fluid and lively way of being;
- Remember how to have fun and enjoy each other’s gifts.
In addition to what we do in session, I offer practical tools you can use for ongoing growth and transformation beyond your work with me.
I also strongly believe in empowering you both with useful and pragmatic information along the way. Specifically, I offer guidance and clarity about:
- Paths intimate relationships commonly take;
- How to move from a path that creates distress to one filled with growth and joy;
- Ways to walk the delicate line between accepting your partner exactly as they are and asking for everything you want and deserve;
- Ways of soothing yourself during those inevitable moments when things just aren’t going the way you’d like;
- Mindful Sexuality—an approach to greater awareness, empowerment, and pleasure.
If it’s time to pay loving attention to what matters most—the heart of your relationship—I would be pleased to witness and guide you along the way.